Society

Zimbabwe ferry disaster becomes the country’s deadliest transport accident

Kariba, August 19, 2026. The death toll from the sinking of the ferry Mbuya Nehanda on Lake Kariba on August 11 has risen to 94, according to the latest government figures, overtaking the 1991 Nyanga bus disaster as the deadliest transport accident in Zimbabwe's history. The vessel, authorised to carry 90 passengers, was reportedly transporting as many as 153 people when it capsized in rough waters.

Zimbabwe ferry disaster becomes the country’s deadliest transport accident

Kariba, August 19, 2026. The death toll from the sinking of the ferry Mbuya Nehanda on Lake Kariba on August 11 continues to rise. According to the latest official figures, the disaster has now claimed 94 lives, making it the deadliest transport accident in Zimbabwe’s history.

On August 11, 2026, the ferry Mbuya Nehanda, operated by the government agency RIDA (Rural Infrastructure Development Agency), capsized while carrying passengers between the town of Kariba and the rural community of Chalala. The vessel, authorised to carry 90 passengers, was carrying far more. Authorities reported at least 114 adults and five crew members aboard, with an unspecified number of children on top of that. A surviving crew member said he counted as many as 153 people on board at departure.

Passengers had voiced concerns about worsening weather conditions before the ferry even left. Survivors later said their requests to turn back or seek shelter were refused. About thirty minutes into the journey, waves began washing over the vessel, which was running on only one working engine. Water built up on board, the bilge pump was submerged, the remaining engine cut out, and the ferry turned broadside to the waves before capsizing.

The death toll has climbed steadily since the accident. It stood at 15 on the day itself, then rose to 72, 80, 84, 92, and now 94 according to the latest government figures. As of August 19, 83 victims had been formally identified, including 21 children, among them a one month old baby. Search operations are ongoing, with bodies now being recovered further from the accident site, some drifting toward the border with Zambia.

The toll surpasses the 1991 Nyanga bus disaster, which killed 89 people, mostly schoolchildren, and had until now stood as the country’s deadliest transport accident.

Early investigations have ruled out structural failure as the main cause of the sinking. They instead point to a combination of navigational error, overloading and a failure to heed weather warnings. The government has directly blamed the ferry’s captain, Sign Patsikadova, saying he sailed despite advice from the Meteorological Department not to.

President Emmerson Mnangagwa declared the disaster a national tragedy and acknowledged it had exposed serious gaps in the country’s maritime safety capacity. Transport and Infrastructural Development Minister Felix Mhona announced an investigation into the vessel’s capacity, safety standards and emergency preparedness. A full technical report was due to be presented to Cabinet.

On the ground, families of the victims are enduring an agonising wait. Many, particularly from Nyaminyami district, have spent days in difficult conditions, running short of food, as they wait for the recovery and return of their relatives’ bodies.

M2A

Media 2026 Africa

Journalist, The African Meridian.

En savoir plus sur African Meridian

Abonnez-vous pour poursuivre la lecture et avoir accès à l’ensemble des archives.

Poursuivre la lecture